Technology has an important role in our rapidly changing world and is entwined in almost every part of our lives. It impacts our current and future generations and their environments.
Through learning about technology, students develop knowledge and an understanding about how technology has developed over time, and how it is important for our personal health, wellbeing, recreation, and everyday world of home, work and enterprise and our environment.
- Prepare students for the real world environment and their future careers where technology will be used
- Allow for a diversity in learning styles
- Support critical and creative thinking and problem solving
- Include student interaction & collaboration, are fun and interactive
- Allow students to take control over their learning and decision making
The Technology structure has two focus areas:
- Digital Technologies in which students use computational thinking and information systems to define, design and implement digital solutions.
- Design and Technologies in which students use design thinking and technologies to generate and produce solutions for authentic needs.
This study is organised into three related strands:
- Technologies and Society, where students examine social, ethical, economic and sustainability factors in the development of the various technologies.
- Technologies Contexts (Food Specialisations, Food and Fibre production and Materials and Technologies specialisations)
- Creating Designed Solutions.
The design process starts with a design brief whilst using appropriate technical terms and technologies. Students investigate and generate ideas, develop and test their plans, ideas and processes, manage their resources, produce a product using their skills and a range of tools and materials and equipment, then evaluate their design ideas, processes and solutions.
At Killester we offer the following Technology subjects:
- DESIGN AND MATERIALS (Years 7-10)
- FOOD TECHNOLOGY (Years 7-10)
- VET HOSPITALITY
- TEXTILES AND FASHION (Years 7-10)
- VET APPLIED FASHION AND TECHNOLOGY
- DIGITAL TECHNOLOGIES (Years 7-10)
- VCE ALLIED COMPUTING (Year 11)
- VCE DATA ANALYTICS (Year 12)